Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Maria and Martha

What a great, productive weekend!
This past Friday was taken up with helping Joyce and another friend from work move their office. I’m totally jealous of their new space. Not that they don’t deserve it… they do! And actually now they are closer to me and it’s easier for me to distract them from their jobs- We also got to meet Melissa’s mother who is absolutely ADORABLE and VERY funny. All around it was a great day of work… or lack thereof… which is perhaps why I enjoyed it so much.
Then I got my nails done with another friend. It was quite the experience. Of course in Boston you always need quarters to park. Well, I only had two. So I run to a store to get change and run into a LARGE poster that says “we do not supply change for the parking meters”. CRAP. Seriously? A SIGN? Was that necessary? It seems to me you’d be doing a community service to keep more quarters in the drawer to be helpful to those of us who ONLY HAVE DOLLAR BILLS. So I think I’ll outsmart him and buy a water that’s probably like $1.35, leaving the change to equal at least two quarters and an additional 24 minutes on my meter. I put the bottle on the counter and show him my $2.00. He says it’s just $1. Now I have a bottle of water I didn’t want, a dollar bill and no quarters. So I walk to Starbucks and BEG the guy to give me 4 quarters for my dollar. I said thank you like 15 times. Little does he know his neighbor isn’t so free-spirited with the change-making.
So I FINALLY get to the nail salon… It’s always such a struggle to convince yourself to go do something for yourself when you know you’re walking into the judgment zone. Why do salons ALWAYS try to sell you more than what you are there for?? Do NOT ask me if I need my eyebrows waxed when I JUST did them myself the night before. Or stare at my feet in judgment, discuss them with your co-workers and then insist I should be getting pedicures. It’s like… REALLY?? I’m in here. Isn’t that enough? So she gets done with my nails and I stick them in the dryer for TWO drying rounds. That’s TWO. ONE is supposed to DEFINITELY dry your nails, so I stayed even longer than it’s recommended on the machine. Of course it’s freezing outside so when I get in the car I sit on my hands to warm them up. And… yup, you guessed it- my nails are now TEXTURED with the imprint of my jeans. Goodbye $25. I get home and have to put 4 coats (sp?) over the one I paid for and I STILL can see the faint lines under it. I am a genius.
Saturday was equally if not more eventful. I was under the impression Hayley was letting me tag along to a work event that she had planned. It occurs to me before she picks me up that I should probably be dressing nicer than normal to go to this thing, as to not embarrass her and possibly be invited to future events. I do my best to be as presentable as possible. Little do I know we are going to a CELEBRITY-STYLE event, hosted by Maria Menounos. I suppose it’s a good thing she didn’t tell me ahead of time or I wouldn’t have gone at ALL. It turned out not to be as bad as I thought… red carpet, cameras and stick-figured girls aside. We got free drinks, a “swag bag” FULL of awesome gifts and discounts and the once-in-a-lifetime experience of seeing girls try WAYYY too hard to be noticed at an event in the GALLERIA MALL. The drinks though DID make the rest of the shopping day interesting. After spending far too much on far too little, we made our way to the Cheesecake with Mr.Denker in tow. One day I will need to thank him for putting up with the two of us. Especially when I’m sure the day will come when he stops finding us entertainingly charming. Hayley - he’s tied to, I… just come with the package. After, we roamed through the mall to Target, but not without passing the frightening, hollow-eyed, life-size rabbit letting little kids take pictures with it. Well… this is how Hayl sees it. I saw him as a character doing his job during Easter… a job that HAYLEY herself did in Disney. That girl cracks me up and is a walking anomaly. So.. we tortured Charlotte at her job for a little while and called it quits.
Sunday was a day of more shopping for a top-secret project. It was very overwhelming, but SO MUCH FUN. I cleaned the house until it was immaculate and then crafted while Charlotte and her friends created a drinking challenge from the Celtics game that was on. I must say I am turning into QUITE the crafter. Much of it has to do with inspiration and strict instruction from Hayley, but part of it could be due to my need to prove you don’t have to be as strange as Martha Stewart to make nice, normal crafts that are actually useful and don’t require a book of instructions.
I have tomorrow off, which I choose to believe is a reward for my good behavior and not the fact that I work for a school that gets Patriots day off. This makes for a 4-day work week, which is VERY helpful as I count down the days until I get to go home and celebrate Blane’s 2nd birthday and Baptism. The weekend should bring with it a lot of interesting stories and hopefully even more interesting pictures.
Until next time…
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment